I found this page on Facebook (I'm working on my addiction). It's all about cutting through red tape and saving money or taking on big business that charges you hidden fees. It got me thinking about cutting back on my daily bills. I've been cutting back on groceries. On most days I don't have enough organization to actually have my coupons on me when I go to the store, but I don't hit Safeway every three days any more either. By picking and choosing where I buy my groceries I've cut my bill 50% each month. Of course canning helps a lot too.
My cell contract is finally up April 4th. It's been a long 2 years. Bye bye US C*llul*r, hello anything cheaper and without a contract at 65% less than I'm paying now. Almost every store has an unlimited phone for around 35-40 dollars a month...no contract.
Next is my cable and Internet. I found another Facebook page called I don't have cable or satellite TV. That really got me thinking. Last time I called comcast they dropped my Internet by 15 dollars and that was ok, but now I want more. I don't want to pay for it at all. An antenna for all the lower tiers is about 60 bucks and will split to 8 tvs. A converter is another 35. I'm already wired for cable and the antenna I want can use the existing wires. So a one time bill of 58 dollars for the antenna and 35 dollars for my tvs that aren't digital ready and I am bill free from now on. ** Well, I called to find out if they can do better for now and again, got more channels and faster Internet for 6 months for one third less money than I pay now. (Anyone know what 'On Demand" is? What ever it is I have it.) That gives me 6 months max to get all my tv antenna and etc set up and bug free. I hope I don't need that much time :)**
Since qwest cut my bill from from 60 dollars to 30 dollars I can get by with free dial up. Yes...it sucks, but all I do is blog and check my mail so it's all good. Besides...all my kids have Internet on their phones if I get desperate for speed.
We don't have any car payments or college loans or child support to pay so that's a great help. We have our own well and septic so again..less money out.
I worry about cutting back on all the bills because I think things are going to get worse for us all. I think things are going to really tight for us as a nation. And I think that every dime my husband and I bring in is going on our home if that happens. If you can keep a roof over your head you're already ahead of the game. If you lose your home...I don't know. You're dependant on whoever has the power because the homeless I see are powerless. The homeless I see are hungry. The homeless I see have untreated medical problems. The homeless I see are in danger from evil people. I would never want that for my family. As long as we can keep our home we can garden, we have chickens, we can defend ourselves. We have better odds of surviving what ever may come our way as a family.
I realize those are scary things to think about and it's much easier to play the "I'll deal when and if it happens" game. But don't you think it might be a interesting to play the "What if" game. What if the banks stopped all withdrawals for 7 business days like the notice you recently received said. What if the nation went broke and your paycheck became a future IOU. What if you had no access to money for 2 months. What if money was worthless at the stores because there was no gold to back it up as tender. What if... That's some scary thoughts if you aren't prepared.
And you know what? If absolutely nothing bad happens I'll have deprived one banker or congressman a vacation or designer outfit by not letting them scam me for more than I need...and that makes me incredibly happy! :)
1 I think...:
Thanks for being my #100! We called our sattelite company to disconnect and they offered us 6 months free since we had been "good" (ie:paying) customers all these years. It worked!
Post a Comment