My husband is a simplistic man.
Not the same as a simple man, because he's not.
He's a deep man, but has a simplistic view of his life. He doesn't think about politics, although he'll listen to me rant and rave about whatever indignity I feel the latest idiot is doing to our country with a slight smile on his face. He doesn't really offer opinions because he feels that there's no point. I think he feels that politicians are just putting on plays for us and behind closed doors they do as they please. Other than that, he has no opinion.
The things that are important to him are having dinner on the table after work. That the kids are not screaming and running the house. That the bills are paid and that he has a job to go to each day. That all is well in his world. If the leaves are on the grass, he rakes it. If the lawn needs mowing, he mows it. If a vehicle needs repairing, he fixes it. This is the bigger picture in his life and he's content with that. If I feel the need to get chickens, he builds me a chicken coop. If I have the need to learn how to can, he buys me jars from the swap meets he attends. If I feel the need to put up my own food, he tills me a garden and makes sure it doesn't die. All with the slight smile on his face. I know is condescension, but it gets me to where I want to be for us.
Everything else is just not that important.
I am the opposite. I worry about shortages so I try to buy in bulk. I worry about war so I stock up for our defense (although this was the one area that he enjoyed being involved in). I worry about emergencys so I try to prepare for everything. I worry about the decline of our personal freedoms and yell at the tv and write letters to my politicians that do not make me feel any better. Because I'm a visible foster parent (and mentor) I don't advertise my personal views. I don't have bumper stickers on my car. I don't talk politics in public. I am neutral out in the community. I am neutral because I am a minority with a public 24/7 job.
It wouldn't be prudent for me to carry a '1 man/1 woman = marriage' bumper sticker if my childs' parents are gay, or a 'save the budget/kick out an illegal' when I know my childs' parents are illegals. We have been raised to believe that everything must be pc. Blind is not called blind, it's visually impaired. What's in a word? Aren't they still blind?! To disagree out loud with one's sex choices is a hate crime. To expect personal responsibility for an addiction is washed away with the label 'disease'. To say that all men must be treated equally, as long as there are no winners is to lack any understanding of what equality means.
When Obama was voted in I would snicker at those who had 'it's time for a change' bumper stickers. I felt that once they realized that they had voted in the end of our great nation that they would be horrified and repent and rise to end the mistake. That was my mistake. I was naive. I honestly had no idea that there were so many people in our country that believed that to 'give' was expected if you had more and to receive was a given right. That the haves who worked so hard for what they wanted were now expected and ordered through laws to provide for those too lazy to provide for themselves. That the masses had to care more for providing food for a young child than it's parents. That a responsible person was a meal ticket, to be taken down to a spot as to be needy. That the individual was less important than the group. That to be a conservative and a patriot was something to be ashamed of.
We've been here before. We've tried communism several times in America and it fails. It fails because you can't kill everyone with an opinion. You can't kill everyone with an idea. You can't kill everyone with intelligence. You simply can't kill off every individual. God knows, China has been trying that for decades. We've been here before and we'll be here again, it's just a matter of time before we swing the other way again...I hope. Because that's what I want for my grandchildren. The freedom to strive to be better than the masses.
Not the same as a simple man, because he's not.
He's a deep man, but has a simplistic view of his life. He doesn't think about politics, although he'll listen to me rant and rave about whatever indignity I feel the latest idiot is doing to our country with a slight smile on his face. He doesn't really offer opinions because he feels that there's no point. I think he feels that politicians are just putting on plays for us and behind closed doors they do as they please. Other than that, he has no opinion.
The things that are important to him are having dinner on the table after work. That the kids are not screaming and running the house. That the bills are paid and that he has a job to go to each day. That all is well in his world. If the leaves are on the grass, he rakes it. If the lawn needs mowing, he mows it. If a vehicle needs repairing, he fixes it. This is the bigger picture in his life and he's content with that. If I feel the need to get chickens, he builds me a chicken coop. If I have the need to learn how to can, he buys me jars from the swap meets he attends. If I feel the need to put up my own food, he tills me a garden and makes sure it doesn't die. All with the slight smile on his face. I know is condescension, but it gets me to where I want to be for us.
Everything else is just not that important.
I am the opposite. I worry about shortages so I try to buy in bulk. I worry about war so I stock up for our defense (although this was the one area that he enjoyed being involved in). I worry about emergencys so I try to prepare for everything. I worry about the decline of our personal freedoms and yell at the tv and write letters to my politicians that do not make me feel any better. Because I'm a visible foster parent (and mentor) I don't advertise my personal views. I don't have bumper stickers on my car. I don't talk politics in public. I am neutral out in the community. I am neutral because I am a minority with a public 24/7 job.
It wouldn't be prudent for me to carry a '1 man/1 woman = marriage' bumper sticker if my childs' parents are gay, or a 'save the budget/kick out an illegal' when I know my childs' parents are illegals. We have been raised to believe that everything must be pc. Blind is not called blind, it's visually impaired. What's in a word? Aren't they still blind?! To disagree out loud with one's sex choices is a hate crime. To expect personal responsibility for an addiction is washed away with the label 'disease'. To say that all men must be treated equally, as long as there are no winners is to lack any understanding of what equality means.
When Obama was voted in I would snicker at those who had 'it's time for a change' bumper stickers. I felt that once they realized that they had voted in the end of our great nation that they would be horrified and repent and rise to end the mistake. That was my mistake. I was naive. I honestly had no idea that there were so many people in our country that believed that to 'give' was expected if you had more and to receive was a given right. That the haves who worked so hard for what they wanted were now expected and ordered through laws to provide for those too lazy to provide for themselves. That the masses had to care more for providing food for a young child than it's parents. That a responsible person was a meal ticket, to be taken down to a spot as to be needy. That the individual was less important than the group. That to be a conservative and a patriot was something to be ashamed of.
We've been here before. We've tried communism several times in America and it fails. It fails because you can't kill everyone with an opinion. You can't kill everyone with an idea. You can't kill everyone with intelligence. You simply can't kill off every individual. God knows, China has been trying that for decades. We've been here before and we'll be here again, it's just a matter of time before we swing the other way again...I hope. Because that's what I want for my grandchildren. The freedom to strive to be better than the masses.
0 I think...:
Post a Comment