This is us. I just thought I would post a pic of us in case I change my mind...kill him and go to prison.
I have been pouring over blogs and cook books and the net to find easy to do recipes that my family will love. As part of my growing I am trying to be a better cook. I still can't make a pie crust worth shit but the kids are loving the mistakes. I have just about decided that I will remake any pie recipe into a bar recipe. I make a GREAT bar cookie crust :) but since it's thanksgiving I'm going to cheat with the refrigerated rolled pie crusts because I'm making a chocolate, apple, pumpkin and banana pie. I have a 24 pound turkey that took forever to find because the only bird I cook is a Norbest. I have had fantastic luck every year for over 20 with this bird. I have my russet and yukon gold potatoes for mashing, a fantastic mandarin orange creamed salad. We frosted sugar cookies. I have my home-canned green beans for green beans, cream of mushroom, onion pearls and bacon pieces. My home-canned carrots for glazed carrots, stuff for stuffing, a ton of vegies for a vegie and dip tray. I have finally found the perfect bread machine dough recipe for dinner rolls, cranberries, chips, pop, and more. I did my shopping early so I could have the pick of the crop.
Do you want to know what he did?! He came home on Tuesday with great news!! He was over at his uncle Tom's and they invited us over for Thanksgiving dinner AND HE SAID YES!! I must have looked a little stunned because he says to me, "but honey, now you don't have to cook." He gave away my holiday! And he thought it was a GOOD thing! I have everything. I have been practicing my desserts and have suffered through outrageous sugar highs gone bad to perfect them. I have made about 20 different dinner roll recipes trying to find the "one". I bought table decorations. I was ready. I was prepared. And now..what? I'm ahead of the game for Christmas?
I love his Uncle as strongly as I despise his mother and his wife is incredible. I love spending time with them and I know they're getting older. Grumpy shared that Auntie had a biopsy yesterday and none of her kids are to know. They have 7 kids but I think that only 1 family can make it up. I realize that we are family and that they want to spend the holidays with family (and share their Safeway turkey dinner special), but we coulda did something else! Arranged for them to come here or maybe went up and had dessert with them or whatever, I don't know.
I waited for the information to process once I realized that he was serious. I was calm. I told him that you never NEVER give away a womans holiday. EVER. We are going. I'm taking a relish tray, mashed potatoes and some sugar cookies. Not quite what I had planned but it is for family. If I don't get a doggie bag of turkey left-overs though...all bets are off. He's a dead man.
I have been pouring over blogs and cook books and the net to find easy to do recipes that my family will love. As part of my growing I am trying to be a better cook. I still can't make a pie crust worth shit but the kids are loving the mistakes. I have just about decided that I will remake any pie recipe into a bar recipe. I make a GREAT bar cookie crust :) but since it's thanksgiving I'm going to cheat with the refrigerated rolled pie crusts because I'm making a chocolate, apple, pumpkin and banana pie. I have a 24 pound turkey that took forever to find because the only bird I cook is a Norbest. I have had fantastic luck every year for over 20 with this bird. I have my russet and yukon gold potatoes for mashing, a fantastic mandarin orange creamed salad. We frosted sugar cookies. I have my home-canned green beans for green beans, cream of mushroom, onion pearls and bacon pieces. My home-canned carrots for glazed carrots, stuff for stuffing, a ton of vegies for a vegie and dip tray. I have finally found the perfect bread machine dough recipe for dinner rolls, cranberries, chips, pop, and more. I did my shopping early so I could have the pick of the crop.Do you want to know what he did?! He came home on Tuesday with great news!! He was over at his uncle Tom's and they invited us over for Thanksgiving dinner AND HE SAID YES!! I must have looked a little stunned because he says to me, "but honey, now you don't have to cook." He gave away my holiday! And he thought it was a GOOD thing! I have everything. I have been practicing my desserts and have suffered through outrageous sugar highs gone bad to perfect them. I have made about 20 different dinner roll recipes trying to find the "one". I bought table decorations. I was ready. I was prepared. And now..what? I'm ahead of the game for Christmas?
I love his Uncle as strongly as I despise his mother and his wife is incredible. I love spending time with them and I know they're getting older. Grumpy shared that Auntie had a biopsy yesterday and none of her kids are to know. They have 7 kids but I think that only 1 family can make it up. I realize that we are family and that they want to spend the holidays with family (and share their Safeway turkey dinner special), but we coulda did something else! Arranged for them to come here or maybe went up and had dessert with them or whatever, I don't know.
I waited for the information to process once I realized that he was serious. I was calm. I told him that you never NEVER give away a womans holiday. EVER. We are going. I'm taking a relish tray, mashed potatoes and some sugar cookies. Not quite what I had planned but it is for family. If I don't get a doggie bag of turkey left-overs though...all bets are off. He's a dead man.
0 I think...:
Post a Comment