differences of opinion

Since Obama was voted in on a socialistic platform I have been confused (and angry). I thought that all Americans were of the same thought...America is a republic. We have the right to the pursuit of happiness but not a guarantee of happiness. After doing a lot more research (and using others research) I have at least come close to answers that help me understand a little more. According to the latest research it's a personality/morals thing.

There are 5 basic personality traits of the human psyche that choose whether we are a liberal and all that goes with socialism or a conservative and all that goes along self provision.

In a broad sense, they boil down to:
  • Harm/care: People are sensitive to suffering and have negative feelings toward those who are harmful and cruel. They value kindness and compassion.
  • Fairness/reciprocity: A history of cooperation means humans have evolved a sense of fairness and reciprocity, leading to altruistic actions.
  • Ingroup/loyalty: People place moral value on those who do what's good for the group; are loyal to the group; and dislike disloyal members.
  • Authority/respect: Humans tend to respect authority and tradition.
  • Purity/sanctity: The idea that we view our bodies as sacred. This idea ties into religious views about the body and human actions.
Studies have shown that liberals tend to care only about harm and fairness when considering whether something is moral or not, according to Peter Ditto, a professor of psychology and social behavior at the University of California, Irvine, who is involved with Haidt's research. In contrast, conservatives have a more traditional moral structure, and tend to care about all five morality factors, he said.

"So that's where a lot of the problems come in, is that the things that really bother conservatives don’t bother liberals very much," Ditto said. "And the two groups don't understand each other's morality very well." (understatement of the year)

Take gay marriage for example: "From a liberal standpoint gay marriage isn't a problem, it doesn’t harm anybody, and it's only fair that gay people be allowed to be married just like straight people can," Ditto said. "But for conservatives, gay marriage goes against the traditional idea of marriage and so presents a real moral problem." There can be no middle ground in this issue, either you are for it or against it depending on your own moral view.

I not only don't understand a liberal's point of view...but I will never understand a liberal's point of view. I'm a conservative by my nature and my personality. I no longer affiliate with any political party, all of that is just for posturing in front of the cameras anyway. I will vote by their history not their platform. I will vote for less government at every opportunity. It's time to make America grow up.

The children of free love and share all of the 60's are now running quite a bit of our country. Their morals are sacrifice all for the good of the all vs hard work and self reliance. What you end up with is some people doing all the work and having their work product taken and given to those who rely on those workers to provide.

Think of it as a beekeeper and hive situation. You have worker bees working themselves to the death to make honey to feed their community for the winter. Then you have a beekeeper who says, "I can't make honey, but I want honey. I want to share this honey with others so I will take this honey and give it to people who don't have hives and who also want honey. I will let the bees keep a little but take most of it for the good of the larger community, not just their own," Eventually people will no longer look for honey on their own. They will expect the beekeeper to provide their honey and will wait however long it takes for it to appear. Some will wait such a long time, knowing that someone else will provide that honey that they will starve to death in wait.

Things to think about;

  • When you provide for a child's needs and wants you build a trusting relationship.
  • When you provide for a teen's needs and wants, still treating them as equal things, you build a relationship of entitlement.
  • When you provide for an adults needs and wants you create a relationship of dependence, stifle creativity, and stop maturity growth which eventually leads to anger as their demands of entitlement grow.
How will this generation of dependent, emotionally immature adults be able to raise a child capable of greater things than waiting for their hand-out? Is that all we truly want from our young? To be considered worker bees for the community?

0 I think...: