skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Picture this...I'm outside rocking out with my headphones watering the berry garden. I had a wonderful day. I had 4 eggs laid, dinner was done, the kids all settled in for the evening wore out from swimming all day, Grumpy watching the news while the gkid-5 and f-5 were playing neighbors in the back of the house. So, I'm in the back yard bouncing around (probably singing...badly) and going over my day and what I need to do tomorrow and enjoying a bit of me time when I hear, 'Hello, HELLO.' I look up and see a county cop in front of me. 'You Mrs k?' yeess. 'We have had a report from this address and need to follow up.' okaay. 'Do you have young kids here?' crap. and again crap. Let me go get them. He follows me to the back door, 'Do you mind if I come in?' Nope, come on in. I see f-5 playing with the magnets on the fridge. I call for gkid-5 and when she comes into the kitchen I say to her, Hey sweetie, do you know why we have a policeman in our kitchen? (which, by the way, still had the dinner mess everywhere, wet swim stuff in a pile ect. ugh, cringing over that one). f-5 pipes in I didn't call them. Gkid-5 says, but mema, we were just pretending to call 911. lovely. Apologies all around, feeling like an idiot. Gotta love 'em, you go to jail if you kill them. ;]Egg count for today......1
green, under the coop
I went to put it in the carton, decided to clean them all up a bit and realized that my 2 brown eggs both have darker speckles. I thought one came from my buff because it was brown, and had, I thought, dirt speckles. Is it physically possible for a chickie to lay 2 eggs in a day? I only have one Marans. hmm. What do you think?

1 I think...:
Hmmm... I keep reading that it's a 25-hour or longer process to make an egg an so two in one day is impossible, but then I talk to people on BYC who say they occasionally get two in one day from a single chicken. It is a hotly debated topic, but one thought is that when they are first learning to lay, they could get a bit backed up and have two in the track at once and so lay twice in one day, even though the first one was scheduled to come out the day before. I was thinking yesterday that your second brown egg looked surprisingly dark for an Orpington egg... but hey, I'm certainly no expert!
Anyway... can you check Trouble and see if you still feel the "knot" inside her? Maybe she hasn't laid yet and you did get two from the Marans...? Anything is possible.
I'm having so much fun checking on your egg progress! Hopefully you can keep up with the frequent updates during this time when they're all just getting started. My egg count for today is one green one from Lady B so far.
Post a Comment