happy holidays

I love Halloween. You get to dress up and carve pumpkins and go ask random strangers for candy. If you're lucky enough you can also host a Halloween party. We had a party last year for Foster youth and it was a blast. Did you know if you put highlighter in a mason jar with water, the chicken legs you ate last night and a handful of white rice and then put a black light behind it...it is really gross? The awesome things you can come up with to gross people out. Half the girls wouldn't even use the bathroom. We took a dollar store shower curtain, put some slashes and red hand prints on it, changed the light bulb to a red bulb and hid a cd player behind the toilet. You would sit down to pee, your ears would adjust to the quiet, and then you would hear footsteps coming up behind you! More than one girl ran out the door to fasten their pants. Too funny!
So, holidays are here and it was time to take out my several bins of costumes out. The girls picked out what they wanted to be but I noticed that I had a totes worth that was too small or was for boys. For years I had gone to Kmart the week after Halloween and bought costumes for 90% off. When you only have to pay 2 dollars for a 4 piece costume it's easy to get carried away. When I started sorting them I realized that I had about 2 dozen costumes that I needed to give away, half still had tags on them. I didn't want to give them to goodwill. They would charge more than what I paid for them. I didn't want to list them on Craigslist...half the time people don't show and fielding calls is a pain. I called our local family homeless shelter. I mean, even homeless kids want to celebrate the holidays! It's FREE CANDY!! And they were awesome costumes.
The guy said to bring them down, he'd love to have them. I load them up in a tote and headed down. I had to walk around the corner to the front carrying my tote and almost tripped over a young woman sitting on the sidewalk. She had all of her belongings loose in a half circle around her about 4 feet deep. She looked at my tote and said, 'looks like we're in the same boat'. NO, we're NOT! Your boat sucks! I just smiled at her. I have to say that I was embarrassed to walk back by her on my way out. The place was dirty and the people have to leave each day and come back that night. I have a good life. I help people at random times when they need a hand up. I understand that life gets hard. I understand that bad things happen to good people. What I don't understand is how a physically fit young woman (20's) ends up on a sidewalk with all of her stuff rolling around her. We have so many help wanted signs around here. Is flipping burgers worse than sitting on a sidewalk? Are there no horny guys at the bar? (sounds rude, yes, but she was young and cute. Someone should've wanted to take her in.) Did her family refuse to have anything to do with her? All I could think of was, but for the grace of God... and that totally took away my happy thought of doing a good deed for a child. Happy freakin holidays.

0 I think...: