Memorial day is a day of remembering those we lost, but in a good way. I believe that you never really die until you are forgotten.
So, I remember Danny, my brother-in-law. He was my first experience with loss. Until he died I believed that we were invincible. He was a party animal looking for his soul mate who died one icy December morn on his way to work. It's been over 21 years since my husband lost his best friend.
I remember Aunt Marie, my great Aunt. She was an RN during Pearl Harbor and retired doing geriatrics. Always a caregiver who only wanted a baby, but couldn't carry one. She treated us all like we were hers.
I remember Aunt Paula, my moms sister. She taught me that people need goals to succeed. She taught me that you need to tell your children you love them or they won't know it and it will be too late. She taught me how to quilt. Most of all, she taught me that women are the glue that holds the family together.
I remember my great uncle Bert and My great uncle AC. One on my dads side. one on my moms side , 2 men who had never met, but so similar. Neither man had a child but was incredibly loving and died of old age surrounded with family, not alone. Both men taught me that honor and dignity was something that just was and not to accept less.
I remember my aunt Wanda, moms other sister, who taught me the little things that mean a lot in life. She fought with every fibre in her being to stay with her family, and again, she reinforced to me that women are the glue that holds the family together.
I remember my son in law Tony. At 18, he was ran off the road by a 15 year old drunk driver at the beginning of his life. He was enrolled in college and had been married for 2 weeks. His was the first funeral I had ever been in charge of. It's hard. You can't grieve if you have to make decisions all day. He taught me that life changes plans and that everyone needs to roll with it. He was a quirky kid with a bad childhood who wanted better for himself and his new family. He was the love of my daughters life.
But most of all, I remember my dad. My dad came back from Vietnam a different man than the one who left. He was a quiet man who spoke seldom, but when he did you needed to pay attention. He loved quick and forever. He was the only person I have ever met that didn't have a single enemy, or was even disliked by anyone. He was an honorable man, old school honorable. Family was important to him, and so was having a good work ethic and a sense of humor.
It's been 15 years dad. I love you and I miss you.
See ya pops.
So, I remember Danny, my brother-in-law. He was my first experience with loss. Until he died I believed that we were invincible. He was a party animal looking for his soul mate who died one icy December morn on his way to work. It's been over 21 years since my husband lost his best friend.
I remember Aunt Marie, my great Aunt. She was an RN during Pearl Harbor and retired doing geriatrics. Always a caregiver who only wanted a baby, but couldn't carry one. She treated us all like we were hers.
I remember Aunt Paula, my moms sister. She taught me that people need goals to succeed. She taught me that you need to tell your children you love them or they won't know it and it will be too late. She taught me how to quilt. Most of all, she taught me that women are the glue that holds the family together.
I remember my great uncle Bert and My great uncle AC. One on my dads side. one on my moms side , 2 men who had never met, but so similar. Neither man had a child but was incredibly loving and died of old age surrounded with family, not alone. Both men taught me that honor and dignity was something that just was and not to accept less.
I remember my aunt Wanda, moms other sister, who taught me the little things that mean a lot in life. She fought with every fibre in her being to stay with her family, and again, she reinforced to me that women are the glue that holds the family together.
I remember my son in law Tony. At 18, he was ran off the road by a 15 year old drunk driver at the beginning of his life. He was enrolled in college and had been married for 2 weeks. His was the first funeral I had ever been in charge of. It's hard. You can't grieve if you have to make decisions all day. He taught me that life changes plans and that everyone needs to roll with it. He was a quirky kid with a bad childhood who wanted better for himself and his new family. He was the love of my daughters life.
But most of all, I remember my dad. My dad came back from Vietnam a different man than the one who left. He was a quiet man who spoke seldom, but when he did you needed to pay attention. He loved quick and forever. He was the only person I have ever met that didn't have a single enemy, or was even disliked by anyone. He was an honorable man, old school honorable. Family was important to him, and so was having a good work ethic and a sense of humor.
It's been 15 years dad. I love you and I miss you.
See ya pops.
0 I think...:
Post a Comment